Policy on Circulation, Overdues, and Refunds
Statement: Books and other library resources are available for loan with a valid library
card with a fine balance under $5.00. Rahway residents are issued a free first card for a
three year period if they have no prior library record and they provide proof of
residency. Employees in Rahway may apply for borrowing privileges with proof of
employment. Non-residents may apply for MURAL borrowing privileges if their library
participates or purchase a card for an annual seventy-five dollar fee.
Cardholders must keep their address and phone information current and agree to be
financially responsible for all materials borrowed for themselves and their minor
children (children under the age of 18 at the time the materials are borrowed) and
recognize that privileges will be suspended for charges on their own or their children’s
library cards. All members of a family will be blocked if the collective charges exceed
The Library will make every effort to recover fines and fees including the use of
collection services, credit reporting agencies, and legal proceedings as outlined in local
Ordinance 38-3 in the Code of the City of Rahway, New Jersey.
Borrowers must have their own library card or acceptable identification present to
charge out materials. Borrowers exiting the library must return to the circulation desk if
the security gates sound an alarm in order to permit staff to check materials for proper
charging. Materials must be returned on time and in good condition or fines and fees
will be charged. Staff will inspect all materials when circulated and returned. The
borrower is responsible for the condition of materials once they have checked the item
Cards or IDs must be presented to use library computers. Patrons with library accounts
will be prohibited from using computers if their fine balance reaches $5.00.
Schedule of Loan Periods-Fines-Fees
- Apply for a library card by presenting identification to staff.
- Acceptable identification has a future expiration date and provides proof of current address i.e.: New Jersey driver’s license or New Jersey non-driver identification card or 2 pieces of mail less than 3 months old (utility bills, bank statement, etc.)
- Minor children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with proof of address identification; proof of custody may be required.
- Employees in Rahway must have current proof of employment for at least 3 months.
- MURAL borrowing privileges are given to card holders of other libraries covered under the agreement.
- Hotel/Motel and other temporary residents must have letter from management on letterhead confirming residency of at least three months. Borrowing is limited to one item at a time.
- Patrons will present their library card and materials to be charged to staff at the circulation desk.
- There is a global limit of ten total items per library card.
- Circulation of audiovisual materials ends fifteen minutes before the library’s closing time.
- Renewal of materials can be done by phone or the library’s web page (some limits apply). A PIN (obtainable at the library) is needed for renewal on the webpage.
- Books can be returned at the library circulation desk or when the library is not open, in the external book drops. Audiovisual materials must be handed in at the circulation desk or placed in the external book drop labeled AUDIOVISUAL.
- Borrowers will be charged full list price plus a $10.00 processing fee for lost materials.
- Staff will inspect all items returned for damages.
- Borrowers will be charged for damage to materials (up to $5.00 for repairs) or full replacement price plus a $10.00 processing fee for materials damaged beyond repair or continued use. Borrowers may replace lost materials with an identical, new item. A $10.00 processing fee will still be applied.
- Patrons may replace lost library cards according to the following schedule - $1.00 for the first replacement, $3.00 for the second, and $5.00 for all subsequent replacements.
|Material||Loan period||Fee||Fine||Renewal||Other Information|
|Books||4 weeks||No||$0.25 / day||2 weeks||Overdue materials can be renewed only after fine is paid, need pin # to renew online Limits: Nonfiction – 2 on a subject|
|New Books||2 weeks||No||$0.25 / day||2 weeks||Overdue materials can be renewed only after fine is paid, need pin # to renew online Limits: Nonfiction – 2 on a subject|
|Audiobooks||3 weeks||No||$0.25 / day||2 weeks||Limit - 2 per card|
|Music CDs||2 weeks||No||$0.25 / day||2 weeks||Limit 5 per card per day. One boxset per card.|
|Feature films||3 days||$1.00||$2.00 / day||3 days||3 per card, 5 per family|
|TV/Movie Boxset||7 days||$3.00||$2.00 / day||7 days||Limit 3 per card, 5 per family|
|Large TV/Movie Boxset||21 days||5.00||$2.00 / day||No||Limit 1 per card|
|Nonfiction DVD||7 days||No||$2.00 / day||7 days||3 per card, 5 per family|
|Magazines||2 weeks||No||$0.25 / day||No||8 per card|
From time to time, refunds will have to be issued to account for items that have been
found on the shelf after having had been paid for, credit cards being charged an
incorrect amount, etc. To account for these instances, the following guidelines will be
followed so as to ensure the proper documentation and execution of the refund:
- Only the director, assistant director, or access services manager may issue a refund.
- Patrons must fill out the library’s refund form. This form will document such information as the reason for the refund, the patron’s name, his or her address, phone number, etc.
- Patrons will be allowed up to sixty days to challenge a charge for which they have already paid. Once this window has closed, refunds will not be granted.
- Refund checks will be mailed to patrons at the address they specify. Cash refunds will not be given unless the refund occurs on the same day as the original transaction. These refunds will be issued from the register.
In keeping with our mission to foster and encourage lifelong learning, the Rahway Public
Library offers a special teacher's card for instructors working at schools within the City
of Rahway. The Rahway Public Library teacher's card allows educators expanded
borrowing privileges for books used within their classrooms. By providing a current pay
stub or school ID, educators can check out fifteen books instead of the regular global
limit of ten. There is no limit on the amount of books they may check out on one
subject provided it is less than the maximum allowed.
Date of Board Adoption: November 18, 2008, Revised August 9, 2010, October 17, 2011, and June 15, 2012.